With the winters shrouding the coldest regions all across the globe, individuals look for solutions that would keep them warm. However, the warmth of the homes is not the only thing most people look for. The cost and the maintenance play a critical role, too, and hence could not be ignored at all costs.
Most often people search for “HVAC repair near me” and end up with unsatisfactory services. To help such individuals, the team at Enertia has crafted this blog for the citizens to know the industry well enough.
So What Exactly Is A Heat Pump?
A large number of individuals think that heat pumps produce heat that is often circulated all across the room. However, they fall prey to this wrong notion.
The furnace produces the heat. While on the other hand, the heat pump helps in the distribution of warm air all across the room. The systems strive on furnaces and boilers for the heat.
To add on top of it, these systems are also used to cool down homes too. The systems remove the warm air out of the room to lower down the temperature, thus, promoting achievable temperatures.
Types of Heat Pumps
In a board spectrum, the heat pumps can be categorized into two significant types. They are as follow:
- Air Source Heat Pump Systems – Air source heat pump systems rely on the warm air currents from outside to warm up the rooms. Though it might be shocking to a lot many individuals, yes, warm air currents do exist even in the harshest cold winds.
On the other hand, the pump releases warm air from the house to the outside to keep the rooms cool in the summers. On an estimate, a single household could drop the energy consumption of a home by as much as 40%.
- Geothermal Heat Pump Systems – The geothermal heat pump system leverages the temperature of the below-ground and warms the home. The water-filled pipes are warmed on account of geothermal heat. The tubes are then fed to the heat pump, which warms the entire house.
The process works in reverse as well. The warm air inside the home heats the pipe filled with water and releases both the heat and the water back to the source.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Heat Pump
There are numerous factors that come into play when dealing with the heat pump. From the location to the house structure, there are a ton of other items that come into play.
Here are some of the leading elements that cannot be ignored at all costs.
The technicians dealing with the “HVAC repair near me” services know what works and what does not. As per their advice, air source heat pumps only run efficiently only when the outdoor temperatures are above the freezing temperatures. A threshold of 32 degrees provides an optimal heat, below which the device performs inefficiently.
On the other hand, a geothermal heat pump works well in all the climates. Even in the harshest weather, the ground maintains 55 degrees temperature, which is more than enough to keep a house warm. This, thus, makes geothermal heat pumps fit for all weather conditions while the air source heat pump is effective only with more temperate climates.
If you have a traditional air source or geothermal based heat pump in place, chances exist that you could use the same for your heating purpose. While on the other hand, if you do not have ductwork in place, chances exist that you need to install new ductwork. This could cost you a fortune while prohibiting you from installing another one.
On the other hand, a ductless mini-split heat pump system allows for heat pump use in homes without the ductwork. The individual units mounted on walls or ceilings connect to an outdoor condenser, which enables better savings all from the comfort of the home.
- Natural Gas Lines
In most homes, natural gas lines are obvious. However, if you do not have pre-existing conditions, it may lead to furnace cost, and hence heat pumps are a better option in such situations.
Heat Pumps Pricing
The heat pump pricing can differ on a lot many parameters based on a number of factors. Here is an estimation for the same.
- Ductless Heat Pumps: $4,000 to $5,000
- Geothermal Heat Pumps: $1,500 to $13,000
Common Heat Pumps Problems
The heat pumps go through several problems, with each element playing a crucial role. Here are some of the common flaws when the heat pump does not turn on.
- Thermostat issues: Troubleshooting of the heat pump starts with the thermostat at the center. Check if the device is able to communicate with the right heat pump. If everything seems fine, chances exist that there might be an issue with the calibration of the thermostat.
On the other hand, it can be an electrical problem as well that has been preventing the heat pump from communicating with other essential elements in the room.
In such a scenario, one should opt for HVAC repair near me services to get the best out of it. However, one should opt for reputed brands alone to ensure the maximum benefits.
- Power loss: A lot many times, a tripped breaker is the root cause of all the problems. In such an event, make sure that the breakers are in the correct position. However, if the breaker continues to show similar problems, chances exist that you might need to call an electrician who understands the core of the issues.
- Broken Starter Capacitor: A lot many times, we forget to keep small things in mind. If you happen to be hearing a small sound while turning on your heat pump, chances exist that your starter capacitor is broken. The device is responsible for storing energy and transmitting it throughout the device when it is turned on.
If such is the scenario, you need to call an electrician to replace the starter.
- Broken Reversing Valve: The reversing valve turns the HVAC system in both the systems – the cooler and the heater based on the direction of flow of refrigerant. However, if your system works only in one direction and does not shift into the other, be sure that your reversing valve is broken and needs critical attention.
- The system does not provide adequate cooling: The following condition arrives when the air filter is dirty. The filter catches dust and debris, but when it builds too much of the dirt, it starts choking the airflow. In such a scenario, the screen is cleaned thoroughly or can be shifted by the technicians.
- Refrigerant charge is low: If your system struggles to warm up the interiors, most likely, the refrigerant is too low. The following condition can be easily solved by calling an expert to attain the original refrigerant levels.
When it comes to HVAC systems, there are a ton of factors that come into play. However, with the right technicians by your side, the rest is smooth sailing. A simple query about “HVAC repair near me” will yield a ton of results that cannot be ignored. However, make sure to hire only the professionals who know the industry inside out.
Are you struggling with your HVAC systems? Visit Enertia HVAC/R or give us a call for free consulting.